Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Venezuela!


Well friends, thanks for being so patient as I was travelling to Venezuela. I arrived safely after a long and expensive trip from New York to Toronto and finally Caracas. I got here at about 11:05pm Monday night and my Dad and Aunt were waiting for me at the door. I met two wonderful Venezuelans while at the airport in Canada and got into Venezuela quite smoothly! The main difference that I noticed right away was the heatwave that they're having in comparison to the cold early Spring rain storms we were having in the Northeast. It is very hot down here and we are in the middle of a drought so there is a lot of rationing of water and some rationing of electricity (Venezuela uses mostly hydroelectric power so if the river is not full....well, you get the picture). Here where my grandma lives thankfully the electricity is not being rationed but right now during Holy Week the government has decreed that all business take the week off to save energy so we'll see how long that lasts.

I love Caracas and hope that next week (since Holy Week is pretty much a deadzone here, most people go to the beaches during Semana Santa) I will be able to look around more and check out some more shops and things for crafting ideas. Yesterday I would have had a tutorial for you all except that I am not yet fully settled here and am still trying to get back into the swing of things. I did, however, find a small piece of a string of faux blue pearls that I think I might keep around for some kind of future project. Here they are:
I still have a ton of people to see and reconnect with, yesterday I visited with my friend Maria Mercedes and her girls, I also visited with my friend Merlyn and of course I went out with my parents walking around a bit. Being the Wednesday of Holy Week all grocery stores are packed because tomorrow everything closes for the weekend so I can't really tell you much about the shopping for today but I promise that next week will be a normal posting week!

Thanks so much for reading!

Cheers!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails