Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tuesday Tutorials: Decorating a notebook with gum wrappers...

That's right! Tuesday Tutorials are back in action! Late but nevertheless here. Anyone who knows me well knows that I have a chewing gum addiction that I just can't seem to kick! Everytime I chewed a new piece of gum I wondered what I could do with the wrappers and started saving them to see what I could come up with...the gum wrapper decorated notebook was born!

I took the following materials and embellishments to create my recycled work of art:

All the materials...
  • Composition Notebook
  • Various sticker packs
  • Paris Rubber Stamps
  • Stamp pads
  • Gum Wrappers (kept inside 5 Gum box)
  • Contact Paper
Using a normal glue stick I began to glue the colorful gum wrappers down in a pattern, like so:

The notebook, front cover


The notebook, back cover...

See how pretty it looks already? After having covered both sides with the gum wrappers I embellished another type of gum wrapper with a Paris Eiffel Tower stamp I have using the black ink stamp pad. The paper is patterned from Orbit gum. The rest of the embellishments are stickers but you can use cut outs, print outs and any thing else you can get your hands on. Get creative and go your own way! The main thing about this project is that you are reusing wrappers so they don't go to the landfill!

Paris stamp on patterned gum wrapper paper...

Finished front cover....

Back cover shot...

Once you'ved finished emellishing the notebook as much as you want you can go ahead and cover it in contact paper so that the embellishments and gum wrappers remain neatly on and don't start to peel off. If you decide to make this project I would love to see what you come up with! Please link back to this post and let me know what you have made or place photos of your own creations on the wall on our Facebook page.

7 comments:

SEWButterfly said...

Awesome job, Nadia! Thanks for the recycle tutorial!

Nadia Marie said...

Thanks, Stacy! I appreciate your encouragement!
Nadia

Unknown said...

great, too bad you weren't the first one to do that to a notebook, and you can also do that with 5 wrappers by taking the foil off of the backing and placing it on the surface and using your fingernail to attatch it to the notebook, no glue needed

Nadia Marie said...

To Alex: Ummm, thanks, I think...I'm not sure whether to feel good about your comment or offended. I am quite aware that I am not the first to ever attempt such a craft and as for the nail to attach thing, I've known how to do that since childhood but I felt that would take way too long for me to sit there and do. I do not claim to be the first to do any of the things that I post tutorials about I just wanted to share what I had made and how I had done it, I am sure there are tons of wonderful variations on the same theme and I love seeing what others create or come up with. Sorry if I am misunderstanding your comment but it just seemed a bit sarcastic...please do correct me if I am wrong.

Maci/Gumwappergirl said...

That pattern is super cute!!! And guess what? I do that all the time!!! except I sell them and make other things with gumwrappers!!!!! You should see my blog: maciscreations.blogspot.com oh and PLEASE dont think that I am copping you cause I have 1600 gumwrappers and have been doin this for ove 3 years!!!!! but your stuff is soooooooooo cute!!!! love it! :) you should check out my stuff!

Maria said...

Que genia! Lo voy a hacer, en casa siempre sobran de esos composition books y termino tirandolos, ademas odio esas tapas blanquinegras jaja..A comer gums entonces!

etown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails